Living with fistula is sometimes only option where complete cure can not be achieved
- When washing the skin around your fistula, only use warm water and soft cotton wool or a disposable cloth, rather than flannels or sponges. Dry the area carefully – pat it dry rather than rubbing vigorously. Using a hair dryer on a low setting may be a good way of doing this.
- Avoid irritants like perfume, talc and soaps.
- Avoid hot and spicy foods , chillies etc.
- Use suitable barrier cream to protect the skin around the area.
- Discharge from fistula is irritating to keep area dry sanitary napkins or pads are helpful.